Lost Tales of Beleriand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fast-moving animals

4 posters

Go down

Fast-moving animals Empty Fast-moving animals

Post  Mich Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:00 am

I headed out earlier to see if it would be possible to bring down a wild boar by moving quickly/hiding/sneaking and trying to generally keep it at a distance so that it could be shot. While I didn't manage that, I did discover that they move very, very quickly.

I shot it from two rooms away. 2 seconds later (precisely 2) the boar entered the room I was in, having come through two sparse woodland rooms. Fortunately I was already running off.

I'm aware that a wild boar is very dangerous and probably rather quick, but is it possible that it could be slowed down by even a second or two? One second per room seems a bit too quick.

Mich
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Fast-moving animals Empty Re: Fast-moving animals

Post  Zargen Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:31 pm

You think thats bad? Try trying to -catch- a running animal.

Orcs are just as bad. Grease lightnin'

Zargen
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Kithrater Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm aware that a wild boar is very dangerous and probably rather quick, but is it possible that it could be slowed down by even a second or two? One second per room seems a bit too quick.

What would be the benefit of an extra second or two?

Kithrater
Admin
Admin

http://lost-tales.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Zargen Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:09 pm

The ability to set sprint and juke them probably jocolor

Zargen
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Mich Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:32 am

Not quite, Zargen, since I can set sprint before shooting it rather than after.. Smile

But let's say I manage to lodge an arrow in one, and have decided I'm going to run as fast as possible southwards, if I press the 'd' key instead of s, the boar is probably going to get me. Or if there was to be a brief moment of lag on my end, or my computer was to freeze up as it so often does.. The extra second or two would allow time to correct that.

The above is assuming that what goes on other RPIs is still the same here - that coded wild animals can be fought with code; the animal doesn't play fair, so you don't have to either (if the animal was going to emote at me etc. then I'd stay in the same room).

Mich
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post  Falconer Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 am

I agree that boars move a little bit too quickly - though it does get the adrenaline pumping as you ask yourself if you'll be able to hit a direction key immediately after using the <fire> command and get away in time. A one or two second delay on the boar's end certainly wouldn't hurt - it might also, however, make the boars (which I believe were designed to be taken down in groups) a bit too easy.

There's also the <set autoflee> command, if you haven't used that yet.

Finally, last note, as it was indicated by the comment about staying in the room to emote. It's my understanding (and perhaps Kith can clarify) that there are no rules of engagement or anything of the sort here. In other words, PCs should feel free to use the code to their advantage: guarding exits, setting up an ambush (with no emotes) etc... the code serves as the judge, rather than a set of philosophical rules.

Falconer
Regular
Regular

Location : Areas of Expertise: Character creation, pRPT and plot design, First Age canon, House of Haleth.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum