Lost Tales of Beleriand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction to Skill Crafts

2 posters

Go down

Introduction to Skill Crafts Empty Introduction to Skill Crafts

Post  Falconer Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Hey Dreamer,

I just wanted to drop in a request for "general" crafts that would provide an introduction to a particular skill for characters that do not have that skill, but would like to learn it in time. As it stands, even without the sword skill, a character could wield a sword and begin to learn it. Within the crafting system, I see this taking place by having one or two "general" crafts that would begin to skill check/raise the skill of more specialized skills.

For example:

A general craft "burn meat" might be an introduction to the cooking skill, but is available to all characters. (Makes sense, as anyone can throw a chunk of meat on a fire, burn the hell out of it, and eat it - it just simply isn't going to be a great meal.)

A general craft "melt iron" might be an introduction to smithing, etc.

Thoughts?

Falconer
Regular
Regular

Location : Areas of Expertise: Character creation, pRPT and plot design, First Age canon, House of Haleth.

Back to top Go down

Introduction to Skill Crafts Empty Re: Introduction to Skill Crafts

Post  Dreamer Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:55 pm

I do have a problem with the crafting system being used to gain skills. That's why we have the teach command. And if we try to make a craft to teach a skill, it would have to have a roll for a skill to gain - if a character doesn't have that skill, their skill is set at 0, and no matter what we set the roll to, they'll never pass it.

However, I don't mind making some common sense skills in the general category - or even in the cookery category with a starter of something everyone would have and no skill check. You're right, everyone can burn meat if necessary to keep themselves alive.

Let's keep this post alive by putting in some common sense things that people can do without having to know a particular skill that might add to the gameworld. I'll consider putting them in.
Dreamer
Dreamer
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down