Eagles, and Foxes, and Bears... Oh My!

Go down

Eagles, and Foxes, and Bears... Oh My!

Post  Falconer on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:15 am

A discussion took place in the guest lounge earlier today which resulted in the following proposal:

For each of the Houses, have a signature animal that is marked on clothing and equipment to signify membership to the House. It might be, in the past, that this animal was revered by the House itself - a metaphor for their values and mores, or perhaps a semi-religious veneration or guide. Now, while these direct associations are no longer prevalent, the animal remains as a simple symbol.

The proposals are as follows:

Beor: Stag
Haleth: Fox
Marach: Eagle
Hule: Bear

Feedback is, as always, welcome!

Falconer
Regular
Regular

Location : Areas of Expertise: Character creation, pRPT and plot design, First Age canon, House of Haleth.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagles, and Foxes, and Bears... Oh My!

Post  Bad Juju on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 am

I like it! It is just another way of adding flair to the game that will make it that bit more immersive. Smile
Bad Juju
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpa on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 pm

I love this, though I might switch animals.

Hule is descended from Beor, so a similiar relation there might be nice.

Beor are stoics, somewhat: The stag does seem to me a stoic animal, but a relation to the Hule is difficult for me to form here. Of course, the Hule could also be trying to split themselves from Beorians.

Marachians: How about Dog/Wolf? They're the most numerous of the Houses(Wolves go in packs, so strength in numbers), and Dogs are quick to be loyal. That seems a more hasty animal(either one) than the eagle.

Haleth: Looking for a solitary animal here, but the Haleth wouldn't pick an animal that is -alien- to men either: they are Men, after all, even if isolationist. I think the Fox is a good animal here.

Grandpa
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Juju on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Grandpa wrote:
Hule is descended from Beor, so a similiar relation there might be nice.

Haleth: Looking for a solitary animal here, but the Haleth wouldn't pick an animal that is -alien- to men either: they are Men, after all, even if isolationist. I think the Fox is a good animal here.

What about the wolverine? They are known for their ferocity despite their diminutive stature. I think that would fit nicely with the portrayal of the Hule as being a small, determined splinter group of the Beor.

I would either go with a fox or a lynx for the Haleth.
Bad Juju
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Falconer on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:54 pm

Perhaps, then:

Beor - Bear
Hule - Wolverine
Marach - In debate.
Haleth - Fox

As per Marach, I tend to think of the House as a bit more regal and high brow, while also fierce, like that of the eagle, which motivated the original suggestion. That said, I could see the symbol of the dog or wolf working as well.

Thoughts?

Falconer
Regular
Regular

Location : Areas of Expertise: Character creation, pRPT and plot design, First Age canon, House of Haleth.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bard on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Interesting idea. If it goes ahead, here are some other thoughts.

I'd probably recommend Stag for the Marachians. Regal, high-brow etc... For some reason it seems to fit, in my mind anyway. Smile It's a creature of the land too, and it was the land that the Marachians came to dominate as the strongest House. That's just me tho'. Smile

As for the rest, they sound good. Not sure about the wolverine - if the original plan is to have an animal represent each House, then having one for Hule's family is kind of redundant. It's not a bad idea, just thinking there might be a better option.

Given the Hulefolk are of the House of Beor, then we can just go with "bear" as their crest, and maybe add something else to it, to signify Hule's. Even that is not necessary when you think about it.

On that point too, if we add a unique animal to each family unit within each House, then we're going to run out of animals sooner or later. I would recommend just go by House and have Hule's recognised by something else (even if it is just a sign saying, "Hule's Outpost" outside the tavern or whatever).

Hope that makes sense. Get what I mean?
Bard
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Juju on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:01 pm

Bard wrote:
Hope that makes sense. Get what I mean?

I see what you are saying, sir. Smile
Bad Juju
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kithrater on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:45 pm

The mark of Hule is a yellow fort - they take a lot of pride in their property, they do.

I imagine most "big" or "notable" families would have their own markings. Not necessarily a unique animal, but a certain posed animal, symbol, or other picture. The Three Houses, though, seeing as they have their own quasi-royalty (succession of rule being passed down from son-to-son in at least the case of the House of Beor and House of Marach), will have symbolic animals and seals by now.

Kithrater
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://lost-tales.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down