Advertising the Game: Is it Ready?

Go down

Advertising the Game: Is it Ready?

Post  Bad Juju on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:24 pm

As it is, the Lost Tales of Beleriand is at a critical stage of its development. It is neither a fully-fledged game, but nor is it simply an idea bouncing back and forth in someone's head. Since we are entering the beta phase, we are going to need players; however, do we want to open the gates to the world at large? This crucial period marks the beginning of a long, arduous journey to MUDhood. It is fraught with development perils and publicity perils. If we start breaking the news to everyone and they come here expecting to see a fully-fledged, could we actually hurt the game? While I understand that we want to attract players to test the game, at what point do we say, "That's enough for now?" It is for that reason that I believe we should concentrate upon building a small, but dedicated playerbase that will understand the full picture.

Anyone else agree with me on this?
Bad Juju
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

agreed

Post  Kalden on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:36 pm

I agree. Before you start advertising, put in more helpfiles. Chargen directs you to type "help on skills", yet when you type that, you only get help for the sword skill.

I heard about this over IM, so I'm not sure if it is advertised really at this point.

Kalden
Recruit
Recruit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising the Game: Is it Ready?

Post  Kithrater on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 am

It is for that reason that I believe we should concentrate upon building a small, but dedicated playerbase that will understand the full picture.

I agree with this sentiment.

The MUD isn't being advertised in public anywhere at this point, because I don't feel it's ready for a general audience yet. I'm expecting people to have a firm knowledge of how the RPI engine works from a player perspective, and seeing as the only way to know about the MUD is for someone else to have told you about it, I don't think this is an unfair assumption to put on to the players.

When I feel there's enough information and documentation ready for a player completely new to MUDs to be able to log in, make a character, and then get mauled by wildlife all on their own, then I'll start posting gimmicky little entries of TMC, TMS et. al.

Kithrater
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://lost-tales.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Advertising the Game: Is it Ready?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down